This manual describes `flex', a tool for generating programs that
perform pattern-matching on text. The manual includes both tutorial and
This edition of `The flex Manual' documents `flex' version 2.5.35.
It was last updated on 10 September 2007.
This manual was written by Vern Paxson, Will Estes and John Millaway.
- Reporting Bugs
- Simple Examples
- Generated Scanner
- Start Conditions
- Multiple Input Buffers
- Misc Macros
- User Values
- Scanner Options
- Lex and Posix
- Memory Management
- Serialized Tables
--- The Detailed Node Listing ---
Format of the Input File
- Definitions Section
- Rules Section
- User Code Section
- Comments in the Input
- Options for Specifying Filenames
- Options Affecting Scanner Behavior
- Code-Level And API Options
- Options for Scanner Speed and Size
- Debugging Options
- Miscellaneous Options
Reentrant C Scanners
- Reentrant Uses
- Reentrant Overview
- Reentrant Example
- Reentrant Detail
- Reentrant Functions
The Reentrant API in Detail
- Specify Reentrant
- Extra Reentrant Argument
- Global Replacement
- Init and Destroy Functions
- Accessor Methods
- Extra Data
- About yyscan_t
- The Default Memory Management
- Overriding The Default Memory Management
- A Note About yytext And Memory
- Creating Serialized Tables
- Loading and Unloading Serialized Tables
- Tables File Format
- When was flex born?
- How do I expand backslash-escape sequences in C-style quoted strings?
- Why do flex scanners call fileno if it is not ANSI compatible?
- Does flex support recursive pattern definitions?
- How do I skip huge chunks of input (tens of megabytes) while using flex?
- Flex is not matching my patterns in the same order that I defined them.
- My actions are executing out of order or sometimes not at all.
- How can I have multiple input sources feed into the same scanner at the same time?
- Can I build nested parsers that work with the same input file?
- How can I match text only at the end of a file?
- How can I make REJECT cascade across start condition boundaries?
- Why cant I use fast or full tables with interactive mode?
- How much faster is -F or -f than -C?
- If I have a simple grammar cant I just parse it with flex?
- Why doesn't yyrestart() set the start state back to INITIAL?
- How can I match C-style comments?
- The period isn't working the way I expected.
- Can I get the flex manual in another format?
- Does there exist a "faster" NDFA->DFA algorithm?
- How does flex compile the DFA so quickly?
- How can I use more than 8192 rules?
- How do I abandon a file in the middle of a scan and switch to a new file?
- How do I execute code only during initialization (only before the first scan)?
- How do I execute code at termination?
- Where else can I find help?
- Can I include comments in the "rules" section of the file?
- I get an error about undefined yywrap().
- How can I change the matching pattern at run time?
- How can I expand macros in the input?
- How can I build a two-pass scanner?
- How do I match any string not matched in the preceding rules?
- I am trying to port code from AT&T lex that uses yysptr and yysbuf.
- Is there a way to make flex treat NULL like a regular character?
- Whenever flex can not match the input it says "flex scanner jammed".
- Why doesn't flex have non-greedy operators like perl does?
- Memory leak - 16386 bytes allocated by malloc.
- How do I track the byte offset for lseek()?
- How do I use my own I/O classes in a C++ scanner?
- How do I skip as many chars as possible?
- Are certain equivalent patterns faster than others?
- Is backing up a big deal?
- Can I fake multi-byte character support?
- Can you discuss some flex internals?
- unput() messes up yy_at_bol
- The | operator is not doing what I want
- Why can't flex understand this variable trailing context pattern?
- The ^ operator isn't working
- Trailing context is getting confused with trailing optional patterns
- Is flex GNU or not?
- I need to scan if-then-else blocks and while loops
- Is there a repository for flex scanners?
- How can I conditionally compile or preprocess my flex input file?
- Where can I find grammars for lex and yacc?
- I get an end-of-buffer message for each character scanned.
- What is the difference between YYLEX_PARAM and YY_DECL?
- Why do I get "conflicting types for yylex" error?
- How do I access the values set in a Flex action from within a Bison action?
- Makefiles and Flex
- Bison Bridge
- M4 Dependency
- Common Patterns
- Concept Index
- Index of Functions and Macros
- Index of Variables
- Index of Data Types
- Index of Hooks
- Index of Scanner Options
automatically generated by info2www version 188.8.131.52