4 Basic Editing Commands
We now give the basics of how to enter text, make corrections, and save
the text in a file. If this material is new to you, you might learn it
more easily by running the Emacs learn-by-doing tutorial. To use the
tutorial, run Emacs and type `Control-h t' (`help-with-tutorial'). You
can also use Tutorials item from the Help menu.
XEmacs comes with many translations of tutorial. If your XEmacs is
with MULE and you set up language environment correctly, XEmacs chooses
right tutorial when available (Note: Language Environments). If you
want specific translation, give `C-h t' a prefix argument, like `C-u
To clear the screen and redisplay, type `C-l' (`recenter').
- Inserting Text
- Inserting text by simply typing it.
- Moving Point
- How to move the cursor to the place where you want to
- Deleting and killing text.
- Basic Files. Visiting, creating, and saving files.
- Basic Help. Asking what a character does.
- Blank Lines
- Commands to make or delete blank lines.
- Continuation Lines
- Lines too wide for the screen.
- Position Info
- What page, line, row, or column is point on?
- Numeric arguments for repeating a command.
automatically generated by info2www version 220.127.116.11