(xemacs.info)Using X Selections
9.6 Using X Selections
In the X window system, mouse selections provide a simple mechanism for
text transfer between different applications. In a typical X
application, you can select text by pressing the left mouse button and
dragging the cursor over the text you want to copy. The text becomes
the primary X selection and is highlighted. The highlighted region is
also the Emacs selected region.
* Since the region is the primary X selection, you can go to a
different X application and click the middle mouse button: the
text that you selected in the previous application is pasted into
the current application.
* Since the region is the Emacs selected region, you can use all
region commands (`C-w, M-w' etc.) as well as the options of the
Edit menu to manipulate the selected text.
- X Clipboard Selection
- Pasting to the X clipboard.
- X Selection Commands
- Other operations on the selection.
- X Cut Buffers
- X cut buffers are available for compatibility.
- Active Regions
- Using zmacs-style highlighting of the
automatically generated by info2www version 18.104.22.168